Up to this point, my experience in this space as a designer has been a bit of a rollercoaster. Full of highs and lows and filled with demons of my own mind or machinations of an edge of banana republic levels of complications. I do like living here, and there have been several times I contemplated leaving (there were many times I was told to leave as fast as I can too but…) At a time where I think I am finding my voice, I feel like these are things I would tell other people about this business from a designer’s POV.
- Find your own voice. Tell your story and keep finding ways to tell that story better and better
- Be Curious, do research, there is a lot of information out there, try being intensely interested in what you are doing, this is FUNDAMENTAL
- Design makes all the difference. That is all
- Don’t do this shit alone. Team up collaborate play to different strengths.
- Fussy networking and being seen everywhere is a great rush, but if it does not lead to anything in your ventures then you are wasting time. Some people can afford it, otherwise hustle, focus, work.
- Find your customer, your niche and keep getting better at talking to them, don’t be that “sell to everyone” person.
- Keep it simple, eliminate the fuss and faux luxury, let people get a chance to see your work.